Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thrifty in the City

I've been away from this blog lately, I apologize to all my readers (however many of you there are, if any at all). But I think part of the reason I've neglected writing is simply the lack of ideas. Horrible right? Because there is always something to write about. And I realized, it doesn't always have to be about fashion - but I'll leave that option for another day.

So, voila! Today I'll share with you some thrifty purchases that look good and put the meaning behind 'bang for your buck!'

First on the docket: my newest purchase of a skirt.



For someone on a budget, it's important to have that one staple piece you can wear and change up with a different top or shoes & this Element Zora skirt is just it!


The skirt is 100% polyester, designed by Element (the skate brand), has two seamless front pockets, DIY tie at the waist in a watercolour print that reminds me of peacock feathers. But it looks like it came straight out of a BCBG Max Azria catalogue. And at $40 it has become my all-time favourite piece in my closet. So far, I've worn it to my cousin's wedding, a company dinner, a surprise birthday party and a night full of events - like my RHCP concert t-shirt, I'll wear it out til the seams unravel. (but then I'll just take it to a tailor).

If you're looking for that staple piece, first ask yourself what you need most but never have. In my case I always needed a skirt, but never had one that was perfectly balanced between my work life and play life. For you, it may be that perfect jean that you can wear out shopping with the girls yet pair it with a sexy stiletto and go to work or enjoy the Vancouver nightlife. It may even be the 'go-to' bag (which I am still on the hunt for) or the perfect pair of shorts.

Also keep it in mind, you don't always have to get them in a neutral colour or shade, if you happen to get it in a colourful print (like my Zora skirt) you can always play off the colours and use it as a focal point.

Black flats: necessity in the shoe closet



I finally purchased my own pair of black flats during Aldo's massive Summer sale (it's still going on). I've gone through red flats, checkered flats, brown flats but alas! I now have a black pair. However, because the black ballerina shoe is a highly coveted item and almost every girl in the city owns a pair, I thought of looking for one with a unique design or element to it.

Therefore I chose these black flats with string criss-crossed through gold studs over a mesh layer. I love how the string is woven along the sides to create that unique addition. The gold studs add a hint of class while the mesh keeps it looking casual.

It's important to have versatile shoes if you're not one to throw your pay cheque on a pair of RocketDogs, for the casual days, and designer flats to go with your classy outfit in lieu of a heel.


Flats aren't meant to be comfortable that's why the sales person tried to persuade me to buy insoles, I refrained and am now paying the price with three bandages along my right foot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the skirt, and is that a white body suit?

one-sie pieces are my favorite!!

great blog, keep it up.

-C

CiaraLE.com