Monday, June 14, 2010

Inspired by The Kills - Cheap and Cheerful




When in doubt, accessorize! I chose this outfit using simple, basic clothes. I adorned the striped cotton-blend sweater by net-a-porter.com and teal skinnies by McQ with layers of jewelry. Keep in mind, I kept to bracelets, two simple rings and a statement piece using snake shaped earrings and I tied the theme together with the Michael Kors Python clutch.

When accessorizing pick one area to build your jewelry, in this case I chose the wrists. The rustic 'Love'-winged ring against rebellious leather straps and chained bangles pulls together a jaded yet fresh look. Complete the rock n' roll look with the speckled white and black YSL pumps! Pumps by YSL are magnetic, I am just subconsciously drawn to them.

As you can already tell by the name of the post, The Kills are responsible for the inspiration of this look. The Kills is soft and melodic but also grungy and distorted, which is where the above look came from. Alison Mosshart is the vocal talent behind The Kills and her most recent band, The Dead Weather which she collaborated with Jack White. There is something sexy and powerful about female-lead bands. Unlike Rihanna, who can only handle a guitar with sexual innuendo, a girl who can rock a guitar (by strumming real chords) is a straight up bad ass.
Take for example: Brody Dalle from The Distillers - have you heard the lungs on this girl? Her voice is distinct and soulful yet reminds me of a scratched record. I think it's amazing how two opposites can blend into something beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love love LOVE the outfit. And even more hearts to polyvore, my new favorite site. :)